Ray O’Rourke postpones plan to step down as CEO

Grant Prior 2 years ago
Share

Ray O’Rourke has decided not to step down as CEO of his construction business as planned due to the current economic turmoil.

Ray O'Rourke welcoming Seamus French into the business back in January
Ray O'Rourke welcoming Seamus French into the business back in January

He will remain at the helm of Laing O’Rourke for the next two years at least “in the best interests of the business and its clients, given wider market conditions.”

The announcement came as Laing O’Rourke posted its latest results for the year to March 31 2022 showing a pre-tax profit of £2.5m from £2,965m of turnover after a legacy job in Australia blew a hole in the books with a £75m exceptional charge.

The firm announced late last year that O’Rourke would be stepping down after the current set of results were delivered with Europe Hub Managing Director Seamus French lined-up as new CEO as part of a plan to become a publicly listed company by 2024.

French took up the Europe Hub role in January after joining O’Rourke from his previous role as CEO of mining giant Anglo American’s Bulk Commodities and Other Minerals division. He is now leaving the business.

Laing O’Rourke Chair Sir John Parker said the decision had been reached after discussions between himself, Ray O’Rourke and French “in light of the current environment.”

Parker said: “Since signing off the group accounts for FY22, Seamus and Ray have been focussed on the challenges of completing a CEO leadership transition during a period of significant economic turbulence here in the UK.

“We have agreed to ‘hold formation’ and that Seamus will step down from his transitional role as Europe Managing Director with Ray remaining as CEO.”

French said: “I have thrown myself into this role and found the industry tough but exciting and have grown extremely fond of the ‘can-do’ environment and personal engagement at Laing O’Rourke.

“However, my experience tells me it is better to allow the established team to flex and respond to the market at this time.”

Ray O’Rourke will now continue as Group CEO and Europe MD for the next two financial years.

He said: “I would like to thank Seamus for all his hard work and commitment to our business. I consider him to be a genuine friend and advocate for our efforts to make our industry more respected, rewarded, sustainable and inclusive.

“I am certain all Laing O’Rourke’s people, particularly those in the European businesses who worked directly alongside him this year, will join me in thanking Seamus for his time with us and for the way he has prioritised our long-term success at every point.”

The contractor said its order book has continued to grow since the close of the 2022 accounts.

At the end of this August the business had £9.7bn in orders, with 93% of expected 2023 revenue either secured or anticipated, and 82% of expected 2024 revenue at the secured, anticipated, or preferred bidder stage.

Chief Financial Officer, Rowan Baker said: “This update from FY22 places us in a very strong position to secure an increasing share of future
work in our priority sectors, while we continue to invest in areas that will modernise the industry.”

Full year 2022 figures for the Europe Hub show a pre-tax profit of £56.3m from £58.4m last time on turnover up to £1,835.1m from £1,620.4m

 

 

Latest news

Kier wins first phase of £700m Warwick Uni campus build

Firm to start work on science and engineering precinct last this year
8 hours ago

Torsion and Khalbros to build new Leeds £1bn neighbourhood

Eastgate Quarter site acquired from Hammerson
9 hours ago

JCB to double size of US factory in wake of Trump tariffs

$500m Texas factory under construction to expand to 1m sq ft
9 hours ago

Green light for £2.4bn Luton Airport expansion

Government go-ahead to transform airport
10 hours ago

Diversification pays off for concrete frame specialist Statom

Strong results as £180m turnover firm expands into infrastructure sector
11 hours ago

Cardo in talks to buy Breyer roofing arm

More than 100 jobs could be saved at Breyer Roofing
17 hours ago

Quartet win £750m Wales & Western railway deal

Network Rail confirms partners for Reactive and Minor Works framework
16 hours ago

Plans in for £350m London Bridge life sciences hub

Snowsfields Quarter will consist of three buildings containing labs
17 hours ago

Surging labour costs push tender price forecast up

Pick-up in tender prices despite weak growth
17 hours ago

Permasteelisa wins cladding deal on Multiplex city tower

Facade specialist wins work on Fenchurch Street ‘hanging gardens’ tower
17 hours ago

Wates wins fit-out for Manchester First Street Hub

Smartspace arm secures another Government hub deal
2 days ago

Peel Ports reveals winners for £750m framework

18 firms win places on deal: Full list
2 days ago

Big trade names dropped in M Group rebrand

Acquisitive group formed from Morrison Utility services in 2016
1 day ago

Breyer Group files administration notice

Staff hope rival firm could buy assets and save jobs
2 days ago

Former Severfield director takes helm at Embrace Steel

New CEO Martin Kelly aims to step up expansion of steelwork contractor
2 days ago

£302m upgrade funding awarded to FE colleges – list

Cash shared out between England’s 179 college groups
2 days ago

FK Facades thrives but construction arm hit by ISG row

Dispute with failed contractor costs specialist £5.5m
2 days ago

Galliford Try gets go-ahead for Milton Keynes PRS tower

33-storey tower needs gateway 2 approval before work can start
2 days ago

Small house builders get £150m funding for green homes

Developers will have to meet-up to ten new criteria to benefit from interest rate discounts
2 days ago

Lendlease Construction renamed Bovis

US private equity firm completes £35m purchase of UK contracting business and rebrands
3 days ago

Breyer Group battles for survival as rivals circle

Housing maintenance firm fights three winding up petitions in a month
3 days ago

Careys facing £2.4m claim by developer over demolition cartel

Giant Hong Kong developer claims it was overcharged on Lots Road Power Station job
3 days ago

Multiplex profit drops a third as revenue rises to £780m

Spate of new orders sets contractor up for three years of work
3 days ago

Galliford Try and Breheny land latest Sizewell C road deals

More infrastructure deals for new nuclear power station
3 days ago

Worker trapped in collapsed septic tank pit

Contractor and director fined after worker suffers multiple fractures
3 days ago

Homes England buys stalled Broad Marsh site

Demolition to finally be completed as developer hunt begins
3 days ago

Vistry go-ahead for 353 homes at Rochester Riverside

Work to start on next phase of Kent town regeneration at end of this year
4 days ago

M&E firm J S Wright collapsed owing £19m

Trade creditors hit for £11.4m by employee-owned Midlands firm
4 days ago

Right to work checks to be extended to self-employed

Government plans crackdown on illegal working and rogue employers
4 days ago

Midlands developer turns to London with £1bn resi schemes trio

SevenCapital plans 1,000 flats in Kensington, Islington and the Isle of Dogs projects
4 days ago

Contractor services