£300m gigaplant backer Britishvolt goes into administration

Grant Prior 2 years ago
Share

UK car battery firm Britishvolt was placed into administration on Tuesday.

Britishvolt was building a £300m car battery plant in Northumberland.

But main contractor ISG paused construction work last summer when funding dried-up for the project.

The company had also linked-up with warehouse giant Prologis on a new £200m tech centre in the West Midlands where Winvic completed the base build for Prologis last September and NG Bailey has a £60m M&E package.

Britishvolt has been battling to secure long-term financing since then but management have now called time on their efforts.

The company is now in the hands of administrator EY with most of Britishvolt’s 200 staff made redundant with immediate effect.

EY said: “The Company has entered into administration due to insufficient equity investment for both the ongoing research it was undertaking and the development of its sites in the Midlands and the North East of England.

“The Joint Administrators are assessing the options for realising the potential value in the business and assets of the company, including intellectual property and R&D assets, for the benefit of creditors.

“The administrators will subsequently implement an orderly closure and winding down of the company’s affairs, as required.

“As a result, regrettably, the majority of Power by Britishvolt Limited employees have been made redundant with immediate effect. All those impacted are being offered appropriate support and advice.”

Dan Hurd, Joint Administrator and Partner at EY-Parthenon commented: “Britishvolt provided a significant opportunity to create jobs and employment, as well as support the development of technology and infrastructure needed to help with the UK’s energy transition.

“It is disappointing that the company has been unable to fulfil its ambitions and secure the equity funding needed to continue.

“Our priorities as Joint Administrators are now to protect the interests of the company’s creditors, explore options for a sale of the business and assets, and to support the impacted employees.”

Prologis said the West Midlands site would be unaffected by the news.

Paul Weston, Regional Head, Prologis UK said: “It was disappointing to hear that Britishvolt entered administration today.

“Prologis UK has worked hard to support Britishvolt in their ambitions to develop and manufacture battery technology in this country, including during their widely reported financial challenges of the last few months. We wish their team well in their future endeavours

“Our unit at Prologis Park Hams Hall, DC2,  previously earmarked for Britishvolt’s scaleup facility in the West Midlands, is unimpacted by today’s news and will now be marketed as available for immediate lease.

“We will look to secure another customer as soon as possible to bring valuable jobs and skills to the West Midlands.”

Latest news

Kier wins first phase of £700m Warwick Uni campus build

Firm to start work on science and engineering precinct last this year
9 hours ago

Torsion and Khalbros to build new Leeds £1bn neighbourhood

Eastgate Quarter site acquired from Hammerson
9 hours ago

JCB to double size of US factory in wake of Trump tariffs

$500m Texas factory under construction to expand to 1m sq ft
10 hours ago

Green light for £2.4bn Luton Airport expansion

Government go-ahead to transform airport
10 hours ago

Diversification pays off for concrete frame specialist Statom

Strong results as £180m turnover firm expands into infrastructure sector
12 hours ago

Cardo in talks to buy Breyer roofing arm

More than 100 jobs could be saved at Breyer Roofing
17 hours ago

Quartet win £750m Wales & Western railway deal

Network Rail confirms partners for Reactive and Minor Works framework
17 hours ago

Plans in for £350m London Bridge life sciences hub

Snowsfields Quarter will consist of three buildings containing labs
18 hours ago

Surging labour costs push tender price forecast up

Pick-up in tender prices despite weak growth
18 hours ago

Permasteelisa wins cladding deal on Multiplex city tower

Facade specialist wins work on Fenchurch Street ‘hanging gardens’ tower
17 hours ago

Wates wins fit-out for Manchester First Street Hub

Smartspace arm secures another Government hub deal
2 days ago

Peel Ports reveals winners for £750m framework

18 firms win places on deal: Full list
2 days ago

Big trade names dropped in M Group rebrand

Acquisitive group formed from Morrison Utility services in 2016
2 days ago

Breyer Group files administration notice

Staff hope rival firm could buy assets and save jobs
2 days ago

Former Severfield director takes helm at Embrace Steel

New CEO Martin Kelly aims to step up expansion of steelwork contractor
2 days ago

£302m upgrade funding awarded to FE colleges – list

Cash shared out between England’s 179 college groups
2 days ago

FK Facades thrives but construction arm hit by ISG row

Dispute with failed contractor costs specialist £5.5m
2 days ago

Galliford Try gets go-ahead for Milton Keynes PRS tower

33-storey tower needs gateway 2 approval before work can start
2 days ago

Small house builders get £150m funding for green homes

Developers will have to meet-up to ten new criteria to benefit from interest rate discounts
2 days ago

Lendlease Construction renamed Bovis

US private equity firm completes £35m purchase of UK contracting business and rebrands
3 days ago

Breyer Group battles for survival as rivals circle

Housing maintenance firm fights three winding up petitions in a month
3 days ago

Careys facing £2.4m claim by developer over demolition cartel

Giant Hong Kong developer claims it was overcharged on Lots Road Power Station job
3 days ago

Multiplex profit drops a third as revenue rises to £780m

Spate of new orders sets contractor up for three years of work
3 days ago

Galliford Try and Breheny land latest Sizewell C road deals

More infrastructure deals for new nuclear power station
3 days ago

Worker trapped in collapsed septic tank pit

Contractor and director fined after worker suffers multiple fractures
3 days ago

Homes England buys stalled Broad Marsh site

Demolition to finally be completed as developer hunt begins
3 days ago

Vistry go-ahead for 353 homes at Rochester Riverside

Work to start on next phase of Kent town regeneration at end of this year
4 days ago

M&E firm J S Wright collapsed owing £19m

Trade creditors hit for £11.4m by employee-owned Midlands firm
4 days ago

Right to work checks to be extended to self-employed

Government plans crackdown on illegal working and rogue employers
4 days ago

Midlands developer turns to London with £1bn resi schemes trio

SevenCapital plans 1,000 flats in Kensington, Islington and the Isle of Dogs projects
4 days ago

Contractor services