Geoffrey Osborne files administration notice

Grant Prior 12 months ago
Share

Contractor Geoffrey Osborne has filed a notice of intention to appoint an administrator.

The move comes after an 18-month long restructuring programme to focus on the core construction business and attempts to secure new funding.

Osborne said it is currently in talks with interested parties “with the ambition that aspects of the business will be sold and will continue to trade.”

In a statement the firm said: “Osborne has faced significant headwinds common to the entire construction over the past two years, fuelled by high inflation, the lingering impacts of COVID-19 and Brexit, and a slowdown in public sector procurement.

“Despite these challenges, Osborne has maintained strong relationships with suppliers, contractors and staff, while delivering for customers.

“To address this under-performance and protect the underlying construction business Osborne has sold its property management division, infrastructure business and offsite manufacturing arm securing the employment of over 850 jobs.

“The proceeds of all three sales have been reinvested into the construction business, which has continued to deliver projects in London and the south east.

“Regrettably despite a substantive improvement in performance the residual losses on legacy projects have undermined performance which has impacted on the ability to win new work.

“Despite the management team ensuring the current business is profitable with a good pipeline of work the business has struggled to secure the necessary investment to continue as a going concern.”

The famous industry name was founded in 1966 by civil engineer Geoffrey Osborne and its main shareholders are still the Osborne family.

Latest published accounts for the firm showed a turnover for the year to September 30 2021 of £325.8m generating a pre-tax profit of £2m while employing 800 staff.

Last year group chief executive Mark Hoyland stepped down after just one month in the top job while its offsite business Innovaré was sold to Bowmer & Kirkland.

The expanding Cardo Group also bought Osborne Property Services Limited (OPSL) last year while its infrastructure business was sold in 2021.

Chairman Andrew Osborne said: “Everyone in the construction industry knows the challenges of the past few years and Osborne has worked hard to continue to deliver projects.

“Our management team has done everything possible to look after our people and protect suppliers, while seeking to trade through the economic headwinds. While today’s decision to move towards administration is a last resort, it is now the right thing to do while we continue to seek external investment.”

Osborne, who took over as Chairman of the family business in 2012, added: “Osborne has built and maintained £10billion of the nation’s infrastructure during 58 years of trading, working on homes, schools, hospitals, universities, retail and more.

None of it would have been possible without our people, customers and supply chain. I thank each and every one of them.”

Data and credit checking specialist Red Flag Alert highlighted the firms’ administration notice with its regular checks of high court construction insolvency applications.

Subscribers to the Red Flag Alert service benefit from early warnings about the financial health of companies to help them avoid bad debts.

The Enquirer has linked-up with Red Flag Alert to offer readers a discount on its services and help you avoid worthless invoices from insolvent companies.

For more information and to benefit from the Enquirer discount click here.

Latest news

Kier wins first phase of £700m Warwick Uni campus build

Firm to start work on science and engineering precinct last this year
8 hours ago

Torsion and Khalbros to build new Leeds £1bn neighbourhood

Eastgate Quarter site acquired from Hammerson
9 hours ago

JCB to double size of US factory in wake of Trump tariffs

$500m Texas factory under construction to expand to 1m sq ft
9 hours ago

Green light for £2.4bn Luton Airport expansion

Government go-ahead to transform airport
10 hours ago

Diversification pays off for concrete frame specialist Statom

Strong results as £180m turnover firm expands into infrastructure sector
11 hours ago

Cardo in talks to buy Breyer roofing arm

More than 100 jobs could be saved at Breyer Roofing
17 hours ago

Quartet win £750m Wales & Western railway deal

Network Rail confirms partners for Reactive and Minor Works framework
16 hours ago

Plans in for £350m London Bridge life sciences hub

Snowsfields Quarter will consist of three buildings containing labs
17 hours ago

Surging labour costs push tender price forecast up

Pick-up in tender prices despite weak growth
17 hours ago

Permasteelisa wins cladding deal on Multiplex city tower

Facade specialist wins work on Fenchurch Street ‘hanging gardens’ tower
17 hours ago

Wates wins fit-out for Manchester First Street Hub

Smartspace arm secures another Government hub deal
2 days ago

Peel Ports reveals winners for £750m framework

18 firms win places on deal: Full list
2 days ago

Big trade names dropped in M Group rebrand

Acquisitive group formed from Morrison Utility services in 2016
1 day ago

Breyer Group files administration notice

Staff hope rival firm could buy assets and save jobs
2 days ago

Former Severfield director takes helm at Embrace Steel

New CEO Martin Kelly aims to step up expansion of steelwork contractor
2 days ago

£302m upgrade funding awarded to FE colleges – list

Cash shared out between England’s 179 college groups
2 days ago

FK Facades thrives but construction arm hit by ISG row

Dispute with failed contractor costs specialist £5.5m
2 days ago

Galliford Try gets go-ahead for Milton Keynes PRS tower

33-storey tower needs gateway 2 approval before work can start
2 days ago

Small house builders get £150m funding for green homes

Developers will have to meet-up to ten new criteria to benefit from interest rate discounts
2 days ago

Lendlease Construction renamed Bovis

US private equity firm completes £35m purchase of UK contracting business and rebrands
3 days ago

Breyer Group battles for survival as rivals circle

Housing maintenance firm fights three winding up petitions in a month
3 days ago

Careys facing £2.4m claim by developer over demolition cartel

Giant Hong Kong developer claims it was overcharged on Lots Road Power Station job
3 days ago

Multiplex profit drops a third as revenue rises to £780m

Spate of new orders sets contractor up for three years of work
3 days ago

Galliford Try and Breheny land latest Sizewell C road deals

More infrastructure deals for new nuclear power station
3 days ago

Worker trapped in collapsed septic tank pit

Contractor and director fined after worker suffers multiple fractures
3 days ago

Homes England buys stalled Broad Marsh site

Demolition to finally be completed as developer hunt begins
3 days ago

Vistry go-ahead for 353 homes at Rochester Riverside

Work to start on next phase of Kent town regeneration at end of this year
4 days ago

M&E firm J S Wright collapsed owing £19m

Trade creditors hit for £11.4m by employee-owned Midlands firm
4 days ago

Right to work checks to be extended to self-employed

Government plans crackdown on illegal working and rogue employers
4 days ago

Midlands developer turns to London with £1bn resi schemes trio

SevenCapital plans 1,000 flats in Kensington, Islington and the Isle of Dogs projects
4 days ago

Contractor services