Hull site demo stopped as public clash with builders

Grant Prior 14 years ago
Share

UNIONS have agreed to suspend a protest by construction workers outside the BP complex near Hull following clashes with police and passing motorists.

More than 60 police officers turned out at the chemical plant at Saltend yesterday to limit the scale of the disruption seen on Monday when traffic was brought to a halt on the A63 by protesters standing in the road.

The Yorkshire Post said there were two arrests, one under the Public Order Act and the other for obstructing a highway.

The unofficial protest is now in its fifth week and started when 400 workers who were working for Redhall Engineering on the BP-led Vivergo consortium biofuels project were laid off.

Police said public support for the workers appears to be waning, with drivers angry at repeated delays near the plant and unhappy by a new tactic adopted by protesters yesterday which saw them walking backwards and forwards on pelican crossings to stop traffic on the main road.

Chief Inspector Darren Downs said the protests had been generally peaceful but there had been several days, including Monday, where protesters “had caused serious disruption and put people in serious danger”.

He said unions had reneged on an agreement with police to conduct their protest in a peaceful manner.

Downs said officers would now enforce the Public Order Act, which set limits on the numbers of those who could protest and the times when they demonstrated, to avoid a repeat of the earlier scenes.

He said a stand-off ensued after demonstrators were told of the change in tactic, resulted in a “bit of scuffling, pushing and shoving” and two arrests.

Downs told the Post: “I think public support is waning because they have overstepped the mark and they are affecting the community and it has been going on the length of time it has.”

GMB official Les Dobbs said the police presence was “excessive”. He said the 48-hour suspension would let talks go ahead with Vivergo and if that didn’t happen they woul d be back at the gates.

He added: “I wouldn’t condone traffic being stopped; it is not going to help our cause or their cause. I am not going to say members are wrong. You have to look at where they are coming from, losing five weeks of pay. If you put yourself in their position they are frustrated at not being able to pay their bills.”

A Vivergo spokeswoman said: “Despite some reports to the contrary, the Redhall workers affected by the termination hold no legal right to TUPE transfer to Vivergo Fuels. Vivergo is a fuel company and therefore wouldn’t be able or have any reason to employ 300 plus engineering workers directly.

“We have stressed to the unions concerned that when the new contractors are in place any new employment opportunities will be advertised so that former Redhall workers can apply for the resulting jobs.

“In order to bring new contractors in to complete the construction and in turn promote any new employment opportunities, it is imperative that access to our site is not prohibited or impacted by protest activity.”

Latest news

Kier wins first phase of £700m Warwick Uni campus build

Firm to start work on science and engineering precinct last this year
10 hours ago

Torsion and Khalbros to build new Leeds £1bn neighbourhood

Eastgate Quarter site acquired from Hammerson
11 hours ago

JCB to double size of US factory in wake of Trump tariffs

$500m Texas factory under construction to expand to 1m sq ft
11 hours ago

Green light for £2.4bn Luton Airport expansion

Government go-ahead to transform airport
12 hours ago

Diversification pays off for concrete frame specialist Statom

Strong results as £180m turnover firm expands into infrastructure sector
13 hours ago

Cardo in talks to buy Breyer roofing arm

More than 100 jobs could be saved at Breyer Roofing
19 hours ago

Quartet win £750m Wales & Western railway deal

Network Rail confirms partners for Reactive and Minor Works framework
18 hours ago

Plans in for £350m London Bridge life sciences hub

Snowsfields Quarter will consist of three buildings containing labs
19 hours ago

Surging labour costs push tender price forecast up

Pick-up in tender prices despite weak growth
19 hours ago

Permasteelisa wins cladding deal on Multiplex city tower

Facade specialist wins work on Fenchurch Street ‘hanging gardens’ tower
19 hours ago

Wates wins fit-out for Manchester First Street Hub

Smartspace arm secures another Government hub deal
2 days ago

Peel Ports reveals winners for £750m framework

18 firms win places on deal: Full list
2 days ago

Big trade names dropped in M Group rebrand

Acquisitive group formed from Morrison Utility services in 2016
2 days ago

Breyer Group files administration notice

Staff hope rival firm could buy assets and save jobs
2 days ago

Former Severfield director takes helm at Embrace Steel

New CEO Martin Kelly aims to step up expansion of steelwork contractor
2 days ago

£302m upgrade funding awarded to FE colleges – list

Cash shared out between England’s 179 college groups
2 days ago

FK Facades thrives but construction arm hit by ISG row

Dispute with failed contractor costs specialist £5.5m
2 days ago

Galliford Try gets go-ahead for Milton Keynes PRS tower

33-storey tower needs gateway 2 approval before work can start
3 days ago

Small house builders get £150m funding for green homes

Developers will have to meet-up to ten new criteria to benefit from interest rate discounts
2 days ago

Lendlease Construction renamed Bovis

US private equity firm completes £35m purchase of UK contracting business and rebrands
3 days ago

Breyer Group battles for survival as rivals circle

Housing maintenance firm fights three winding up petitions in a month
3 days ago

Careys facing £2.4m claim by developer over demolition cartel

Giant Hong Kong developer claims it was overcharged on Lots Road Power Station job
3 days ago

Multiplex profit drops a third as revenue rises to £780m

Spate of new orders sets contractor up for three years of work
3 days ago

Galliford Try and Breheny land latest Sizewell C road deals

More infrastructure deals for new nuclear power station
3 days ago

Worker trapped in collapsed septic tank pit

Contractor and director fined after worker suffers multiple fractures
3 days ago

Homes England buys stalled Broad Marsh site

Demolition to finally be completed as developer hunt begins
3 days ago

Vistry go-ahead for 353 homes at Rochester Riverside

Work to start on next phase of Kent town regeneration at end of this year
4 days ago

M&E firm J S Wright collapsed owing £19m

Trade creditors hit for £11.4m by employee-owned Midlands firm
4 days ago

Right to work checks to be extended to self-employed

Government plans crackdown on illegal working and rogue employers
4 days ago

Midlands developer turns to London with £1bn resi schemes trio

SevenCapital plans 1,000 flats in Kensington, Islington and the Isle of Dogs projects
4 days ago

Contractor services