Hinkley bosses halt plans to “deskill” electricians

Grant Prior 4 years ago
Share

Controversial plans to introduce a new grade of electrical operative at the massive Hinkley Point C construction site have been put on hold.

Electricians stage a protest at EDF offices on Wednesday
Electricians stage a protest at EDF offices on Wednesday

The move by client EDF follows complaints from Unite and a campaign by rank-and-file electricians who have threatened widespread demonstrations.

Sparks started the first round of protests last week claiming the plans would lead to a “deskilling” of the industry.

Hinkley client EDF and the MEH Alliance of Balfour Beatty and NG Bailey has been looking to introduce training courses for ‘Electrical Support Operatives’.

The courses introduced by the Engineering Construction Training Board (ECITB) would run alongside existing apprenticeships and qualify most candidates to Level 2 allowing them to eventually support qualified electricians to install cable trays and ladders and help pull cables.

Unite said that would undermine the role of the electrician and raised the issue with EDF who have postponed the training plan “until the problem has been resolved.”

The last attempt to change pay grades in the sector was the ‘BESNA’ reforms in 2011 which were abandoned by employers following a concerted protest campaign by workers.

Unite General Secretary Len McCluskey said “The undermining of the role of the electrician has been attempted for more than 30 years, most recently in 2011/12 when eight of the major mechanical and electrical construction companies promoted the use of non-electrical personnel to carry out skilled electrical tasks under the so called BESNA agreement.

“Unite defeated the BESNA agreement then and we will defeat this latest attempt to deskill electricians.

“Our message to the industry is clear. Unite and its electrical membership will oppose any and all efforts to weaken the skill set of the trade which will undermine the industry by introducing non-skilled operatives.

“Any deskilling of electricians would result in a race to the bottom and would be highly damaging to industrial relations across the sector.”

An EDF spokesperson said: “Productive talks are now taking place to reach agreement on the curriculum of the new training courses.”

The ECITB said: ‘The ECITB was asked by EDF and the MEH Alliance to develop training pathways that create progressive career opportunities in line with the principles agreed within the HPC collective M&E agreement, the ECSA, for new entrants coming onto Hinkley Point C.

“This work commenced in January 2020 and has involved consultation with a wide range of industry stakeholders.

Employer led, the ECITB’s remit is to support the delivery of skills and training in the engineering construction industry.

“This includes supporting new entrants into the industry, so that employers have the skills they need, individuals acquire relevant industry skills to advance their careers and we collectively build capacity for future industry projects.

“The ECITB does not comment on industrial relations matters, which are a matter for the employers and union representatives.”

Latest news

Buyers flag fears over civil engineering slowdown

All sectors in reverse during "challenging" March
7 hours ago

Torsion and Khalbros to build new Leeds £1bn neighbourhood

Eastgate Quarter site acquired from Hammerson
1 day ago

Winners named for £380m Scottish council housing upkeep deal

PfH Scotland names 38 firms for social housing landlord deal
10 hours ago

Kier wins first phase of £700m Warwick Uni campus build

Firm to start work on science and engineering precinct last this year
1 day ago

JCB to double size of US factory in wake of Trump tariffs

$500m Texas factory under construction to expand to 1m sq ft
1 day ago

Green light for £2.4bn Luton Airport expansion

Government go-ahead to transform airport
1 day ago

Mivan looks to boost supply chain network

Subcontractors and suppliers invited to meet the buyer event: Book places now
11 hours ago

Diversification pays off for concrete frame specialist Statom

Strong results as £180m turnover firm expands into infrastructure sector
1 day ago

Cardo in talks to buy Breyer roofing arm

More than 100 jobs could be saved at Breyer Roofing
1 day ago

Quartet win £750m Wales & Western railway deal

Network Rail confirms partners for Reactive and Minor Works framework
1 day ago

Plans in for £350m London Bridge life sciences hub

Snowsfields Quarter will consist of three buildings containing labs
1 day ago

Surging labour costs push tender price forecast up

Pick-up in tender prices despite weak growth
1 day ago

Permasteelisa wins cladding deal on Multiplex city tower

Facade specialist wins work on Fenchurch Street ‘hanging gardens’ tower
1 day ago

Wates wins fit-out for Manchester First Street Hub

Smartspace arm secures another Government hub deal
2 days ago

Peel Ports reveals winners for £750m framework

18 firms win places on deal: Full list
2 days ago

Big trade names dropped in M Group rebrand

Acquisitive group formed from Morrison Utility services in 2016
2 days ago

Breyer Group files administration notice

Staff hope rival firm could buy assets and save jobs
2 days ago

Former Severfield director takes helm at Embrace Steel

New CEO Martin Kelly aims to step up expansion of steelwork contractor
2 days ago

£302m upgrade funding awarded to FE colleges – list

Cash shared out between England’s 179 college groups
2 days ago

FK Facades thrives but construction arm hit by ISG row

Dispute with failed contractor costs specialist £5.5m
2 days ago

Galliford Try gets go-ahead for Milton Keynes PRS tower

33-storey tower needs gateway 2 approval before work can start
3 days ago

Small house builders get £150m funding for green homes

Developers will have to meet-up to ten new criteria to benefit from interest rate discounts
2 days ago

Lendlease Construction renamed Bovis

US private equity firm completes £35m purchase of UK contracting business and rebrands
3 days ago

Breyer Group battles for survival as rivals circle

Housing maintenance firm fights three winding up petitions in a month
3 days ago

Careys facing £2.4m claim by developer over demolition cartel

Giant Hong Kong developer claims it was overcharged on Lots Road Power Station job
3 days ago

Multiplex profit drops a third as revenue rises to £780m

Spate of new orders sets contractor up for three years of work
3 days ago

Galliford Try and Breheny land latest Sizewell C road deals

More infrastructure deals for new nuclear power station
4 days ago

Worker trapped in collapsed septic tank pit

Contractor and director fined after worker suffers multiple fractures
3 days ago

Homes England buys stalled Broad Marsh site

Demolition to finally be completed as developer hunt begins
4 days ago

Vistry go-ahead for 353 homes at Rochester Riverside

Work to start on next phase of Kent town regeneration at end of this year
4 days ago

Contractor services