Construction workers kidnapped and robbed of £77,000

Grant Prior 2 years ago
Share

Two men who kidnapped and robbed two construction workers after luring them to a remote location and forcing them to hand over £77,000 have been jailed.

Christopher Griffiths (left) and Norman Hitchings
Christopher Griffiths (left) and Norman Hitchings

In mid-June 2021, the victims – who work for a London-based construction company – were contacted by someone claiming to be “Lee Kennedy”.

“Kennedy” said he was looking to develop some land and wanted the company to view it before creating some designs for building development.

Over the following two weeks, emails went back and forth, and an arrangement was made for them all to meet in Leverington, near Wisbech, where they would then go on to view the nearby land.

The victims met 59-year-old Norman Hitchings – who they believed to be Kennedy – who offered to take them to the land in his BMW X5.

For the next five to six minutes, Hitchings drove at high speed to a remote apple orchard before getting out of the car and walking into the trees and returning with three other men – one now known to be 45-year-old Christopher Griffiths.

All four men were wearing bandanas across their faces and carrying weapons.

The victims were forced on the ground and had their hands cable-tied behind their backs before having their wallets and mobile phones taken from them.

Hitchings leant over one of the victims and said “you owe Lee Lee Builders 77 grand, pay now or else”, placing a knife to the man’s throat.

He was handed back his phone while Hitchings watched him transfer £77,000 over to another bank account.

After the transfer had been made, one of the men threatened “I know where you work and where you live, so don’t call the police”.

All four men made off in Hitchings’ BMW, leaving the two men stranded and cable tied. They eventually managed to free themselves and made it to a nearby farm where police were called.

Detectives identified a “burner” mobile phone used to contact the victims, as belonging to Hitchings, who was caught on CCTV topping it up on several occasions. The BMW was also traced back to him, however it was found to have been on stolen plates.

Phone data also tracked his movements which matched up to around the time of the kidnap and robbery.

Enquiries were carried out into the email address used by the suspects to contact the victims, which revealed an “IP” address connected to Wi-Fi atthe home address of Griffiths.

The pair were found guilty of two counts of conspiracy to commit robbery and two counts of kidnap following a nine-day trial at Peterborough Crown Court in April. Griffiths was also found guilty of fraud.

On Tuesday they both appeared at Peterborough Crown Court where Hitchings, of no fixed address, was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Griffiths, of Brudenell, Orton Goldhay, was also jailed for 10 years.

Detective Constable Craig Trevor, of the Acquisitive Crime Team, who investigated, said: “This was a well-planned and orchestrated robbery where two businessmen were lured to a secluded location through a fake land development deal.

“Hitchings and Griffiths thought they had sufficiently concealed their criminal actions using fake identities, fake email addresses, burner phones and stolen vehicle index plates to commit the offences.

“This case only made it to a court room due to the bravery of the two victims coming forward and disclosing to police their horrendous ordeal, where they suffered extreme calculated violence followed by 22 months of intensive investigation.

“I am pleased we could achieve some justice for the victims in the sentencing of Griffiths and Hitchings today and with the assistance of specialist financial investigators, we managed to recover the stolen £77,000 and return it to the victims.

“This was organised criminality and I hope the sentencing today sends a clear message that police forces across the UK work together and bring to justice those who choose to commit organised crime for their own personal gain.”

Latest news

Buyers flag fears over civil engineering slowdown

All sectors in reverse during "challenging" March
7 hours ago

Torsion and Khalbros to build new Leeds £1bn neighbourhood

Eastgate Quarter site acquired from Hammerson
1 day ago

Winners named for £380m Scottish council housing upkeep deal

PfH Scotland names 38 firms for social housing landlord deal
11 hours ago

Kier wins first phase of £700m Warwick Uni campus build

Firm to start work on science and engineering precinct last this year
1 day ago

JCB to double size of US factory in wake of Trump tariffs

$500m Texas factory under construction to expand to 1m sq ft
1 day ago

Green light for £2.4bn Luton Airport expansion

Government go-ahead to transform airport
1 day ago

Mivan looks to boost supply chain network

Subcontractors and suppliers invited to meet the buyer event: Book places now
12 hours ago

Diversification pays off for concrete frame specialist Statom

Strong results as £180m turnover firm expands into infrastructure sector
1 day ago

Cardo in talks to buy Breyer roofing arm

More than 100 jobs could be saved at Breyer Roofing
1 day ago

Quartet win £750m Wales & Western railway deal

Network Rail confirms partners for Reactive and Minor Works framework
1 day ago

Plans in for £350m London Bridge life sciences hub

Snowsfields Quarter will consist of three buildings containing labs
1 day ago

Surging labour costs push tender price forecast up

Pick-up in tender prices despite weak growth
1 day ago

Permasteelisa wins cladding deal on Multiplex city tower

Facade specialist wins work on Fenchurch Street ‘hanging gardens’ tower
1 day ago

Wates wins fit-out for Manchester First Street Hub

Smartspace arm secures another Government hub deal
2 days ago

Peel Ports reveals winners for £750m framework

18 firms win places on deal: Full list
2 days ago

Big trade names dropped in M Group rebrand

Acquisitive group formed from Morrison Utility services in 2016
2 days ago

Breyer Group files administration notice

Staff hope rival firm could buy assets and save jobs
2 days ago

Former Severfield director takes helm at Embrace Steel

New CEO Martin Kelly aims to step up expansion of steelwork contractor
2 days ago

£302m upgrade funding awarded to FE colleges – list

Cash shared out between England’s 179 college groups
2 days ago

FK Facades thrives but construction arm hit by ISG row

Dispute with failed contractor costs specialist £5.5m
2 days ago

Galliford Try gets go-ahead for Milton Keynes PRS tower

33-storey tower needs gateway 2 approval before work can start
3 days ago

Small house builders get £150m funding for green homes

Developers will have to meet-up to ten new criteria to benefit from interest rate discounts
2 days ago

Lendlease Construction renamed Bovis

US private equity firm completes £35m purchase of UK contracting business and rebrands
3 days ago

Breyer Group battles for survival as rivals circle

Housing maintenance firm fights three winding up petitions in a month
3 days ago

Careys facing £2.4m claim by developer over demolition cartel

Giant Hong Kong developer claims it was overcharged on Lots Road Power Station job
3 days ago

Multiplex profit drops a third as revenue rises to £780m

Spate of new orders sets contractor up for three years of work
3 days ago

Galliford Try and Breheny land latest Sizewell C road deals

More infrastructure deals for new nuclear power station
4 days ago

Worker trapped in collapsed septic tank pit

Contractor and director fined after worker suffers multiple fractures
3 days ago

Homes England buys stalled Broad Marsh site

Demolition to finally be completed as developer hunt begins
4 days ago

Vistry go-ahead for 353 homes at Rochester Riverside

Work to start on next phase of Kent town regeneration at end of this year
4 days ago

Contractor services